Thursday, November 16, 2017

Important question for the experts!!!

I have been adding motifs to the tablecloth and doing ok until a couple of weeks ago.  As I was adding another motif I realized the motif I needed to join to had a mistake in it and I couldn't join to it and it needed to be cut out.  So, I just finished the motif I was tatting and had already joined to the other joins and just put a picot where it would have been joined and cut out the motif with the mistake.  
Twice now I tried to fill in the spot of the one I cut out, but I have made mistakes and had to cut them out also.  Well, tonight I thought I had it figured out and got it right, except that when it was finished I realized that I had twisted the motif and joined it in a twist so it had to be cut out also, but somehow I cut the wrong motif and the one left has no picots to join to.  I am not sure how to correct this.  
If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know.

Happy Tatting everyone!!

9 comments:

Jane Eborall said...

I’m not sure if this would help but you may be able to adapt the idea http://janeeborall.freeservers.com/RepairCutPicot.pdf

Ninetta said...

I don't know if I understood well, you cut a motif and the one left in the runner was attached to a picot, then it was not thought with a picot. But you carefully pull the thread with a needle and a loop should appear where there was the join. A picture would have helped but I couldn't find one, I'm stll searching.

muskaan said...

Since it is a matter of single motif that needs to be linked, here's my simple solution -
Start the new motif. At the place where it needs to be attached, pull out the thread from the shuttle (in case of ring. Or ball/2nd shuttle in case of chain) , thread it through a needle, and insert it in previous motif, at the place where the joining picot should’ve been. Remove needle and wind the thread back as before.
When making the next stitch, leave some picot space on this thread, and continue.

All we've done is manually created a picot on new motif rather than previous motif.
Visually, it will look the same.

Hope this is clear and helps?

Jane McLellan said...

Could you create picots by threading cotton in a needle and securing it in the tatting that way? I am sorry, you've done so much work, it's a shame to have this set back.

Jenn said...

Do you have a pic? Just might be easier to find a solution if we can see it :).

Margarets designer cards said...

I have had to make a picot on the doily I am making, I pulled a thread between the double stitches which made a picot.
I hope that helps

God's Kid said...

Thank you everyone!!
Jenn, I will try to get a picture today.

Sharon said...

When you're tatting motifs the first motif has a picot but the next motif has a join into the picot at that point. When you cut out the first motif you're left with the "join into" bit which is never going to be as big as a picot. This will be aggravated if you are one of those people who count the join as the first half of the next stitch. The join is really just the -space- between 2 stitches. It's where the new join needs to go, so get either a very tiny crochet hook and wiggle it under the -space- and make your join; or if you don't have a tiny hook you can use a thread and needle to get a loop of thread under the -join into- and use it to pull your new join thread under the -join into- bit. If you've been making long lacy picots this join is going to be tight to the stitches, not light and lacy. You can counter this by making the join really loose which isn't a perfect solution, but in a large piece like a tablecloth it won't show all that much. It's a stinker to fix, but it can be done.

God's Kid said...

Thank you Sharon!! :) I am glad you understood what I was saying. I did my best to try what you said and I think it's ok, it just looks thicker where the picot would be.